ALTA isn’t quite like any other conference. If you’ve never been, please take a look at our Guide for First-Time ALTA Conference Attendees.
Each year, 300-400 ALTA members, literary translators, writers, students, readers, teachers, publishers, and other professionals from all regions of the United States and abroad gather for a vibrant three days in continually changing venues across the country and, occasionally, in Canada and Mexico. For over thirty years, the ALTA conference has provided the only gathering dedicated exclusively to the work of literary translation. We hope to see you at the next conference!
The wide range of activities that attendees can participate in includes:
- Panels and roundtables on all aspects of literary translation
- The Bilingual Reading Series that includes recently published translations and translations in progress
- Individual consultations with editors
- Workshops that focus on translation strategies and techniques for specific languages and genres, e.g., Spanish poetry
- An exhibit of books featuring recently published translations of literature from around the world
Additionally, conference attendees are invited to attend the keynote speaker presentation(s); the ALTA Awards reception where the NTA, Stryk, IPTA, and Becker award winners are announced; the ALTA Travel Fellows reading; the ALTA Emerging Translator Mentorship presentations; and other events. Attendees take advantage of the many opportunities to network and get to know each other, including at the much-beloved Declamación, a night of performance featuring the recitation of literary translations from memory (more or less!).
In short, the ALTA Annual Conference remains a refreshingly collegial gathering of amateurs and professionals alike, both within the profession and outside it, all wholeheartedly committed to fostering, furthering, and supporting the practice of literary translation.
Thursday - Sunday, October 5 - 8, 2017
- January 2017: Sessions proposal applications open
- February 2017: Bilingual Reading series applications open (apply for a Bilingual Reading online here)
- April 7, 2017: Session proposal deadline
- April 7, 2017: Nominations for the NTA, Stryk, IPTA, and Becker Prize deadline
- April 7, 2017: ALTA Travel Fellowship applications deadline
- May 1, 2017: Bilingual Reading series application deadline
- May 1, 2017: Hotel reservations at discounted ALTA group rate available online
- May 1, 2017: Conference registration available online
- July 2017: Deadline for bookfair orders
- August 2017: Deadline for program advertisements
- September 1, 2017: Deadline for discounted early conference registration
- September 4, 2017: Deadline for special group rate hotel room reservations
- September 22, 2017: Deadline for ALL online conference registration
- Facebook group
- ALTA40 (Thurs. October 5 – Sun. October 8, 2017): Minneapolis, MN
- ALTA41 (Wed. October 31 – Sat. November 3, 2018): Bloomington, IN
Archives of past conference materials can be found in the Conference Archive.