Thurs. - Sun. October 6-9, 2016
Oakland, CA | #ALTA39
Keynote: Don Mee Choi
The prefix “trans” reminds us that the concept of crossing is fixed at the heart of translation. Thinking about translation in this way—as a crossing, a kind of movement—suggests a rich intersection of questions about the nature of the translator's work. Translation & Crossing asks us to think about physical crossings and migrations, the potential upheaval and labor that this physical movement implies, as well as the complex linguistic transfer that occurs in translation between languages and cultures. But translations can and often do cross much more abstracted terrain—what does it mean for a translation to traverse ideologies, time periods, forms, genders, artistic and intellectual boundaries of all kinds? What strategies, practices, and transgressions emerge in this process of moving across these more ambiguous divides? ALTA39 aims to create an inclusive venue for conversation about translation as a process of moving across, through, over, to the other side of, or beyond these categories and boundaries.
Join a panel seeking additional participants!
It's not too late to join a panel for ALTA39: Translation and Crossings in Oakland, CA, October 6-9. If you're interested in being on one of the panels actively seeking additional participants, look at the list here and contact the organizer of the panel(s) you'd like to join. The deadline for organizers to finalize session lineups is June 3rd, so make sure to write soon if you're interested!
Conference sessions begin at 8:00 a.m. on Friday, October 7, 2016, and conclude at 5:15 p.m. on Sunday, October 9, 2016. There is an opening reception at 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 6, 2016. There is a closing reception at 6:00 p.m. on Sunday, October 9, 2016.
We will do our best to have a full schedule finished by the end of July.
We will make information about participating in the ALTA39 conference bookfair available as soon as we have it.
- January 1, 2016: Sessions and readings applications open
- April 15, 2016: Session proposal deadline
- April 15, 2016: Nominations for the NTA, Stryk, and IPTA deadline
- May 9, 2016: ALTA Travel Fellowship applications deadline
- May 9, 2016: Bilingual Reading Series application deadline
- August 1, 2016: Deadline for program advertisements
- August 15, 2016: Deadline for bookfair orders
- September 12, 2016: Deadline for special group rate hotel room reservations
- September 25, 2016: Deadline for online conference registration
- Facebook group