Thursday - Sunday, October 5-8, 2017
Keynotes: Lydia Davis & Tim Parks
Translation necessarily reflects a dual culture, that of its source and its destination. Yet it is never a perfect mirror reflection, instead refracting off a multitude of distinct or connected histories, values, expectations, and languages as it moves between and across cultures. Somewhere within that web of bouncing light lies the creativity and agency of the translator, as well.
2017 marks the 40th anniversary of ALTA, an opportunity to celebrate our enduring commitment to literary translation, and to ponder the changes in the environment of our practice and discipline. Our theme of REFLECTIONS/REFRACTIONS proposes many avenues of thought: How can translations channel, transmit, or alter the expressive capacities of language? How do ideological or theoretical prisms intermediate what gets translated, or how translations are produced and read? Does a retranslation, like a refraction, open the original to new readings? Can translation, in light of these themes, provide new ways of learning and discovery in the classroom? Our conference aims to explore, complicate, refine our understanding of these themes.
This is an exciting time to be part of the conversation on translating literature. We invite you—translators, scholars, readers, editors, students, publishers, citizens, and teachers—to join us at the panels, roundtables, workshops, and bilingual readings of the annual conference, on the website, and through ALTA's presence in social media as we build this conversation together.
Get conference updates, plan local events, and look for roommates in our ALTA 2017 Facebook Group
Conference sessions begin at 8:00 a.m. on Friday, October 6, 2017, and conclude at 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, October 8, 2017. There is an opening reception at 5:00pm on Thursday, October 5, 2017. There is a closing reception at 5:30pm on Sunday, October 8, 2017.
ALTA is excited to partner with the University of Minnesota Bookstores for the ALTA40 Bookfair. The deadline to request titles was July 31, 2017. Please note that requesting a book is not a guarantee of it being available at the bookfair.
We are seeking volunteers to help with registration, the conference bookfair, translator-editor speed dating, directing attendees to offsite events, and a variety of other responsibilities. Attendees who volunteer for a certain number of shifts are also eligible for free conference registration.
If you are interested in volunteering, please fill out this online form here.
Editor-Translator Speed Dating
Back by popular demand, ALTA is delighted to present Speed-Dating for Editors and Translators at ALTA40. Applications will be open from August 8 through September 8. More information can be found here.
- January 2017: Sessions proposal applications open
- February 2017: Bilingual Reading series applications open
- April 7, 2017: Session proposal deadline
- April 7, 2017: Nominations for the NTA, Stryk, IPTA, and Becker Prize deadline
- April 7, 2017: ALTA Travel Fellowship applications deadline
- May 1, 2017: Bilingual Reading series application deadline
- May 2017: Hotel reservations at discounted ALTA group rate available online
- May 2017: Conference registration available online
- July 31, 2017: Deadline for bookfair orders
- August 1, 2017: Deadline for program advertisements
- September 1, 2017: Deadline for early registration rate
- September 4, 2017: Deadline for special group rate hotel room reservations
- September 22, 2017: Deadline for online conference registration