Thursday - Sunday, October 5-8, 2017
Minneapolis, mn | #ALTA40
Translation necessarily reflects a dual culture, that of its source and its destination. Yet it is never a perfect mirror reflection, instead refracting off a multitude of distinct or connected histories, values, expectations, and languages as it moves between and across cultures. Somewhere within that web of bouncing light lies the creativity and agency of the translator, as well.
2017 marks the 40th anniversary of ALTA, an opportunity to celebrate our enduring commitment to literary translation, and to ponder the changes in the environment of our practice and discipline. Our theme of REFLECTIONS/REFRACTIONS proposes many avenues of thought: How can translations channel, transmit, or alter the expressive capacities of language? How do ideological or theoretical prisms intermediate what gets translated, or how translations are produced and read? Does a retranslation, like a refraction, open the original to new readings? Can translation, in light of these themes, provide new ways of learning and discovery in the classroom? Our conference aims to explore, complicate, refine our understanding of these themes.
This is an exciting time to be part of the conversation on translating literature. We invite you—translators, scholars, readers, editors, students, publishers, citizens, and teachers—to join us at the panels, roundtables, workshops, and bilingual readings of the annual conference, on the website, and through ALTA's presence in social media as we build this conversation together.
ALTA members may propose conference sessions starting in January 2017 by filling out our online form here. The deadline for conference session proposals is April 7, 2017.
Bilingual Readings series applications will be accepted starting in February 2017 by filling out our online form here. The deadline for Bilingual Readings series applications is May 1, 2017.
Conference sessions begin at 8:00 a.m. on Friday, October 6, 2017, and conclude at 5:15 p.m. on Sunday, October 8, 2017. There is an opening reception on Thursday, October 5, 2017. There is a closing reception on Sunday, October 8, 2017.
Full conference schedule will be available in summer 2017.
- January 2017: Sessions proposal applications open
- February 2017: Bilingual Reading series applications open
- April 7, 2017: Session proposal deadline
- April 7, 2017: Nominations for the NTA, Stryk, IPTA, and Becker Prize deadline
- April 7, 2017: ALTA Travel Fellowship applications deadline
- May 1, 2017: Bilingual Reading series application deadline
- May 2017: Hotel reservations at discounted ALTA group rate available online
- May 2017: Conference registration available online
- July 2017: Deadline for bookfair orders
- August 2017: Deadline for program advertisements
- September 2017: Deadline for special group rate hotel room reservations
- September 2017: Deadline for online conference registration
- Facebook group