The Cliff Becker Prize is given to an unpublished book-length manuscript of poetry in translation. It includes a $1,000 prize and publication by White Pine Press.
- manuscripts must be book length (48 pages - 80 pages, not including the original text) works of poetry in English translation
- DO NOT include any identifying information about the translator in the manuscript (i.e. name, bio, etc.)
- DO include an acknowledgements page, indicating any previous publication of individual poems
- DO include a letter or document indicating permission of the original poet or their estate, as applicable, to submit the book for publication in English
- DO include the original language text either appended to or contained within the translation manuscript
- translators need not be ALTA members or U.S. citizens or residents in order to apply for the award
Submissions are accepted January 1 - April 7, 2017.
The translator of the winning manuscript will receive a standard publication contract with White Pine Press. In lieu of an advance against royalties, the translator will receive a prize of $1,000. The winning manuscript will be published within a calendar year of selection. The winning manuscript will be announced during the 40th annual conference of the American Literary Translators Association, held from October 5-8, 2017 in Minneapolis, MN. In addition to the announcement of the 2018 Becker Prize winner, the conference will also feature a book launch for the 2017 winner, Purifications or the Sign of Retaliation by Brazilian poet Myriam Fraga, translated by Chloe Hill.
How to Submit:
1. Complete the entry form online (January 1 - April 7, 2017), and pay submission fee of $25.
The 2017 Becker Prize winner was Chloe Hill for her translation of Purifications or the Sign of Retaliation by Brazilian poet Myriam Fraga.
Cliff Becker (1964-2005) was the National Endowment for the Arts Literature Director from 1999-2005. He began his career at the NEA in 1992 as a literature specialist, was named Acting Director in 1997, and in 1999 became the NEA’s Director of Literature.
The Cliff Becker Book Prize in Translation is made possible by White Pine Press, the Cliff Becker Endowment for the Literary Arts and a grant from the Amazon Literary Partnership.